Prohibited & Personal Safety
Here is a partial list of goods, services, and content prohibited on ottolist:
- Pictures; no pictures of sexual nature or nudity; don’t post any pictures or video material of other people;
- Material that promotes hatred, racial, and/or ethnic, gender, religious discrimination
- Weapons; firearms/guns and components; BB/pellet, stun, and spear guns; etc
- Ammunition, clips, cartridges, reloading materials, gunpowder, fireworks, explosives
- Recalled items; hazardous materials; body parts/fluids; unsanitized bedding/clothing
- Prescription drugs, medical devices; controlled substances and related items
- Alcohol or tobacco; unpackaged or adulterated food or cosmetics
- Child pornography; bestiality; offers or solicitation of illegal prostitution
- Pet sales (re-homing with small adoption fee ok), animal parts, stud service
- Endangered, imperiled and/or protected species and any parts thereof, e.g. ivory
- False, misleading, deceptive, or fraudulent content; bait and switch; keyword spam
- Offensive, obscene, defamatory, threatening, or malicious postings or email
- Anyone’s personal, identifying, confidential or proprietary information
- Food stamps, WIC vouchers, SNAP or WIC goods, governmental assistance
- Stolen property, property with serial number removed/altered, burglary tools, etc.
- ID cards, licenses, police insignia, government documents, birth certificates, etc.
- Military items not demilitarized in accord with Defense Department policy
- Counterfeit, replica, or pirated items; tickets or gift cards that restrict transfer
- Lottery or raffle tickets, sweepstakes entries, slot machines, gambling items
- Spam; miscategorized, overposted, cross-posted, or nonlocal content
- Postings or email the primary purpose of which is to drive traffic to a website
- Postings or email offering, promoting, or linking to unsolicited products or services
- Affiliate marketing; network, or multi-level marketing; pyramid schemes
- Any good, service, or content that violates the law or legal rights of others
- Please don’t use OL for these purposes, and flag anyone else you see doing so.
Thanks for helping Us keep ottolist safe and useful for everyone.
Please take the same common sense precautions online as you would offline.
When meeting someone for the first time, please remember to:
- Insist on a public meeting place like a cafe, bank, or shopping center.
- Do not meet in a secluded place, or invite strangers into your home.
- Be especially careful buying/selling high value items.
- Do not transfer money to someone you have not seen yet.
- Tell a friend or family member where you’re going.
- Take your mobile phone along with you.
- Consider having a friend accompany you.
- If an offer is too good to be true, it is most probably not. Trust your instincts. Never reveal your login and password of your account. Think of a difficult password, consisting of minimum 6 characters, including at least one digit.
- Authenticate a listing. Do a Google image search for the featured items to see if the exact same image pops up elsewhere. If it does, that should raise red flags about whether the image has been copied from another site. Likewise, buyers can search for a listing’s phone number by putting it in quotation marks in the each field. They’ll find any other place online where the number has been used it could belong to a different business or another true OL seller.
- Test a seller’s legitimacy by looking for recently closed deals and feedback comments and information.
- Don’t deal with buyers who insist on asking for your personal information such as your full name, age, bank account etc.
- Never send an advance partial or full payment, or use a debit card to pay someone you do not know before collecting your item
- It is recommended to purchase items directly from the seller.
- Make sure to inform the buyer of any defects in the item you are selling.
- Use only simple payment methods that you trust and are familiar with, especially cash payments
- In any case, do not send copies of your documents, personal data and most importantly financial information
- Don’t deal with buyers who keep on constantly changing the meeting place or calling from different mobile numbers.
- If you see the buyer waiting for you in his car and he wants to check the item, ask him kindly to get out of the car to check it outside; it is always better in a public place you have both chosen.
Taking these simple precautions helps make ottolist safer for everyone.